Special Educational Needs
SEN Coordinator - Miss Kim Nugent
SEN Governor - Mr John Shaw
At St. Joseph's Catholic Primary School, we firmly believe in addressing the particular needs of every pupil and overcoming potential barriers.
Lessons are planned 'to ensure that there are no barriers to every pupil achieving. In many cases, such planning will mean that these pupils will be able to study the full national curriculum.' National Curriculum for England July 2013.
Please click here to view our Local Offer
The SEN Code of Practice (2014) reflects the changes introduced by the Children and Families Act 2014.
- It covers the 0-25 age range and includes guidance relating to disabled children and young people as well as those with SEN
- There is a strong emphasis on the involvement of children, young people and parents
- There is a focus on high aspirations on improving outcomes for children and young people
- School Action and School Action Plus are replaced by Ranges of Provision within the Bradford District
- Statements and Learning Difficulties Assessments will be replaced by Education, Health and Care Plans (EHCPs)
- It requires the Local Authority to publish its Local Offer
Policies related to SEN
SEN Range Guidance
Special Educational Needs are placed into specific areas of needs. The needs are as follows:
Cognition and Learning
- Physical and Medical
- Hearing Impairment
- Visual Impairment
- Speech, Language & Communication
- Social, Emotional & Mental Health
- Autism Spectrum Disorder
Please click here to view the Range Guidance for each area of need.
School Nursing Team
If you have concerns regarding SEN and your child, support and advice can be sought from our school nursing team led by Francis Harding at Canalside Health Centre. Look out for information on the school newsletter for the regular 'drop-ins' held in school by the nursing team or contact Francis Harding on 01274 221203.
Support for Families
A guide on the support that can be accessed for children, young people and families can be found in the Bradford Council Local Offer. Please click here to view.
Barnardo's SENDIASS Parent Partnership Service - 01274 481183
Disability Advice Bureau - 01274 594173
IPSEA - Independent Parental Special Education Advice