Subject Leader - Mrs Knight
Please ensure that your child has the correct PE kit available in school.
This consists of the following:
Indoor PE kit
- White t-shirt
- Navy shorts
- Black pumps
Outdoor PE kit
- White t-shirt
- Navy tracksuit bottoms
Please wear plain t-shirts and tracksuit bottoms without large logos or labels. Thank you.
St Joseph’s Physical Education (PE) curriculum encourages all children to participate in and enjoy competitive sports and physical activities. Our curriculum provides opportunities for children to lead an active and healthy lifestyle, as well as building personal traits such as respect, fairness and good sportsmanship. We offer a wide range of sports and physical activities that give children the opportunity to co-operate and collaborate as a team, whilst also teaching important life skills such as swimming. Overall, our PE curriculum aims to improve the physical and emotional wellbeing and fitness of all children at St Joseph’s.
- PE at St Joseph’s provides challenging and enjoyable learning through a range of sporting activities including; invasion games, net & wall games, strike and field games, gymnastics, dance, swimming and outdoor & adventure.
- The long term plan and progression of skills documents carefully maps out which PE units are to be taught throughout the year, ensuring the National Curriculum requirements are fully met.
- All children will participate in 2 PE lessons each week. Additionally, there are various extra-curricular activities available before and after school.
- There are many opportunities for children to partake in various competitions within school and outside of school. Each competition is different and will cater to different ages and abilities, including children with SEN, ensuring we are using an inclusive approach to encourage physical development and mental well-being for all students taking part.
- There are 6 Sports Leaders spread over Year 4, 5 and 6 who act as role models for the younger children. Sports Leaders assist with break time and lunch time clubs, maintaining sports equipment and assisting within PE lessons through modelling technique.
- Children in Year 5 have swimming lessons once a week for 12 weeks in the Summer term.
- All classes complete the “Daily Mile” at least once a week to help meet the government target of all children being active for at least 60 minutes a day.
- “Taster” sessions and workshops are completed throughout the year covering a variety of sports, allowing opportunity to children to try something new and develop and improve their fitness.
Through our delivery, children are motivated and given the opportunity to take part in a variety of different and unique sports. This is supported through quality teaching and assessment that is engaging and fun. Children are taught to take ownership for their own health and fitness, as well as enjoying participating in competitive sport. We give our children the skills needed to grow up to live happy and healthy lives.
Click here to view the PE policy.
Click here to view the rules and expectations for PE at St Joseph's.
With a strong ethos for outdoor learning, we believe that not only does this assist with the strengthening and consolidation of pupils learning and understanding, but also creates real life experiences and opportunities for our children in their natural environment. Our outdoor spaces can be used in many cross curricular areas, allowing children to understand and respect the world around us.
Check out what sort of things we get up to in PE and school sports at St Joseph's!
Below you will find our whole school long term plan and progression of skills document