Friday 7th February - Year One's Class Assembly
Friday 14th February - Grandparents' Mass
Friday 14th February - Reception and Year One's Space Day
Please scroll down to Useful Documents to see what we are doing over the Spring Term.
We had our first visit to the Secret Garden on Wednesday. We have identified some trees and we are going to watch them over the year as part of our Seasonal Changes topic in science.
We are Teresa Class
Learning with Jesus to be the best that we can be.
The Year One Team:
Mrs Syms - Class Teacher
Miss Simmen and Mrs Wilson - Learning Support Assistants
On Thursday afternoons Mrs Syms will have her non-contact time. The children will be taught by Healthy Futures for P.E. and Junior Jam for computing. Miss Simmen will be in class to support.
Our inspirational person is Mother Teresa.
"Spread love everywhere you go. Let no one ever come to you without leaving happier."
- Homework will be given out on a Monday and will need returning by Thursday please.
- P.E. will be on a Wednesday and Thursday for the Spring 1-term - indoor and outdoor P.E. kits please.
- Please read regularly with your child and please ensure that you sign their reading record.
- Please send a named clear water bottle into school each day. Please remember only water is allowed.
- Please name all clothes and belongings including P.E. kit. Please go to Parents-Uniform for P.E. kit.
Phonics home tasks will continue to consolidate sounds learned in class.
The phonics screen for Year One children nationally will is administered in June of each year. Please continue to work with your child on their phonics homework. Useful information and websites for practising phonics can be found below.
Phonicsplay Some resources require a subscription but there are many free games and resources
Mr. Thorne Videos of sounds plus many other reading resources
'Letters and Sounds' gives useful information about phonics and has downloadable resources.
St. Joseph's Catholic Primary School uses the 'Floppy's Phonics Sounds and Letters' scheme to promote rigorous synthetic phonic teaching for reading success. Please access the link to learn more about the scheme, the order of teaching and further information on synthetic phonics.
Year One Key Words
Please click here for a list of the Year One key words for reading and spelling. Children will be given a key words booklet to help practice reading and spelling the words at home. The children will be tested on these words and will receive a stamp once they can read and write the words three times.
Children receive a certificate when all these words have been learnt.
Latest Diary Dates Events
- Year 2 SATs meeting04Feb2020
3:30 pm - 4:30 pm
- Grandparents Mass14Feb2020
9:30 am - 10:30 am
- School closes for half term14Feb2020
- Space Party (letter to follow)14Feb2020
Reception and Year one: Come as an alien or spaceman - its up to you! A fun day to end the topic and half term.